Festival of the Seven Seas @ Byron Bay Brewery - Byron Bay
You are hereTweet
Festival of the Seven Seas is a fundraiser for local conservation groups Plastic Free Byron and Positive Change for Marine Life and will work to raise awareness of the crisis faced by the world’s oceans.
The inaugural Festival of the Seven Seas will be held at Byron Bay Brewery on Sunday 20 August and will be an all-day family friendly event. The day will be educational and will feature guest speakers and demonstrations suitable for children of all ages.
Threats like plastic pollution, overfishing, drum lines and the deteriorating health of marine life means that now more than ever our oceans need to be protected for future generations.
RUNNING ORDER OF EVENT
• 8am start with beach clean-up
• 11am free BBQ at the Brewery for all those who joined the clean-up
• Fundraising Event 12pm – 10pm
Entry will be by Gold Coin donation. Local community radio station Bay FM will broadcast live from the Brewery from 2-4pm.
“We are delighted to be involved in the inaugural Festival of the Seven Seas. We are committed to supporting Byron’s transition to Plastic Free alternatives and are really excited to be a part of an event that draws attention to the urgency of the issue,” said Sasha Mainsbridge, spokesperson for Plastic Free Byron.
“Excessive nutrients from agricultural runoff and sewage outflows have contributed to an increasing number of hypoxic dead zones around the world where marine life cannot survive,” said Karl Goodsell, Founder & CEO of Positive Change for Marine Life.
“They have doubled in frequency every 10 years since the 1960’s and there are now over 400 known dead zones. Dead zones upset the fragile balance of ocean ecosystems, affecting fisheries, tourism and the resilience of our seas.”
“We need to change human behaviour and the way that we produce our food in order to reverse the negative impacts that we are collectively having on the ocean before it’s too late,” Karl added.
HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT Sculpture Award
A sculpture award will be launched as part of the Festival of the Seven Seas and high schools across the region are invited to get involved. Schools will be invited to make a sculpture out of recycled garbage prior to the event and submit one entry to represent their school. School entries will be exhibited at Byron Bay Brewery on the day. There will be a People’s Choice Awards and a post-event exhibition.
The Festival will feature a designated children’s entertainment and amusement area. There will be face painting, colouring competitions, educational talks and demonstrations and a loop of marine footage along with rides and other activities just for kids.
FESTIVAL OF THE SEVEN SEAS HIGHLIGHTS
• Bands from 12pm through till 10pm
• Designated kid’s entertainment and amusement area with rides, face painting, colouring competition, educational talks and demonstrations
• Silent auction featuring six surfboards donated by local pro surfers that have been painted by six local artists
• Marine expert presentations and talks
• High school sculpture award and exhibition
• Byron Bay Council representative from ‘Be a Good Sort’ will present a workshop on correct waste disposal and ocean clean ups, and what we can do as a community in support of this, with tips and tricks on how to recycle
Have a question or need help? Please Contact Us