Go Plastic Free this July
You are here
Join over one million people from 130 countries world-wide this July, and choose to refuse single-use plastic. Plastic Free July is a global initiative that raises awareness about the environmental impact of disposable plastics, and encourages people to start making a difference.
In 2016, the Plastic Free July project inspired a group of committed locals to begin their own Plastic Free Byron campaign. Collaborating with individuals and organisations in the Byron Shire, Plastic Free Byron continues to work to reduce plastic waste, and keep our oceans and landfill clean.
To do this, Plastic Free Byron releases actionable tips and information that helps Byron Shire residents minimise the amount of single-use plastic they use on a day-to-day basis.
The Problem with Plastics
So what’s the problem with plastics? What is Plastic Free July and Plastic Free Byron against?
- Plastic breaks up, not down. This means that plastic pollution is permanent.
- Even when recycled, disposable plastic is usually down-cycled. This means it’s made into a low-grade product also designed for single use, or it’s sent straight to landfill.
- Lightweight plastics tend to escape from bins and trucks, turning into accidental litter.
- Importantly, disposable plastics end up in our waterways. It’s vital to keep Byron’s beautiful beaches clean, and marine life healthy and happy.
- Plastic manufacturing makes up a huge 6% of the world’s fossil fuel footprint.
The Solution to Disposable Plastic
Initiatives like Plastic Free July and Plastic Free Byron show that refusing one-time-use plastics is fairly simple. Here are some tips:
- Avoid buying products with plastic packaging. Instead, opt for alternatives – for example, buy loose rather than wrapped fruit and veg.
- Say no to plastic that tends to become litter, such as straws, balloons, and takeaway cups.
- Reduce waste where possible. Get refills, and don’t forget your reusable shopping bags!
- Always recycle when refusal is not possible.
- Sign up to Plastic Free July and join the #choosetorefuse challenge. Share with your friends and family, and encourage them to get involved, too.
For more Plastic Free July tips, download the Plastic Free July Guidebook.
Get Involved with Plastic Free July and Plastic Free Byron
Sign up for the Plastic Free July challenge right now at www.plasticfreejuly.org
Learn more about Plastic Free Byron and their campaigns at plasticfreebyron.com
Byron Insider Category:
Have a question or need help? Please Contact Us